Friday 30 July 2021

WARGAMES ATLANTIC FRENCH RESISTANCE PARTISANS REVIEW

Many times I have been asked about where to find apropiate miniatures to play Fear of the Dark, and last day I picked up a box of French Resistance Partisans made by Wargame Atlantic. 



The idea was to make some characters to play Fear of the Dark, and I can't be more happy with the results, that´s why I decided to make this review, because they can easily turned into 20’s investigators.

The box brings 8 sprues with 4 miniatures each, that makes 32 figures, that's more than enough for any skirmish wargame.



As you can see each sprue has 4 bodies and plenty of possibilities, 14 different heads (with hats, caps, bonets ...), 13 right arms and 9 left arms bearing different combinations of weapons (pistols, rifles, submachine guns, light machine guns, grenades...) which means a lot of possible variations for 4 bodies.

The figures are very detailed, and clothes, faces and weapons are really well done, and those details pop up when the miniatures are primed.




Nice, isn't it? this miniatures can work as investigators, citizens, friends and foes from the 20's to 40's for any horror or pulp game (Pulp Alley, Fear of the Dark, Perilous Tales, Strange Aeons...), and... wait a minute... they can also be used as french resistance partisans in any ww2 wargame!!!

Apart from the wide range of possibilities that each sprue has, we can kitbash these miniatures with spare bits from other ranges and miniatures.

I have used spare bits from frostgrave's cultist sprues, warlord's US marines sprues, Project Z survivors, Gripping Beast's arab spearmen... because using other Wargame Atlantic miniatures would have been too easy...

Below you have several examples of kitbashing (most of them with melee weapons as in the sprue we have a lot of ranged weapons) :







Ok, they are nice, but... how do they scale with other ranges of miniatures?

Well, this miniatures are in the "real" side of 28mm, where other brands use heroic proportions with huge heads and arms, this figures tend to be a more realistic representation of a 28mm person, but they look nice side by side with heroic miniatures.

I could tell you how do I think that they scale with other figures, but a picture is worth a thousand words, so I´m going to show comparison pictures with different miniatures from my collection, I´m sure they will be worthy.












Lets talk about the price...

I paid 33€ for a box with 32 highly detailed miniatures. That's 1€ for each miniature. What can I say? They are cheap for what you get, and they are a MUST for every pulp player, just because of the wide range of possibilities that a single box offers.

I hope this review has been worthy and helps you to decide whether to buy it or not.


2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I really like Fear of the dark - and this blog is also awsome...

    I am wondering if Fotd was inspired by Pulp Alley?!

    Keep on your good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot!

      I have played many pulp skirmish Wargames: pulp alley, perilous tales, chaos in Cairo...

      And although all of them are GREAT rulesets, I always had the feeling that I was missing something, there was something else that I wanted to play.

      I used to change and modify different rulesets to fit my way of playing, and in the end I decided to make my own ruleset.

      Pulp alley is a MUST for me as a pulp wargame player, and I think It has influenced many skirmish Wargames.

      We all owe Dave something because of his Game.

      Delete